SoulcialLiving.com

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What is soulful living?


What does it mean to live a life led by your souls calling? 

First of all, let's define soulful living.  Below are four definitions I found on Wikipedia, all of which I have heard many times throughout my lifetime.  I’m sure you have, too.

1. the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part.
2. the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or as believed to survive death and be subject to happiness or misery in a life to come: arguing the immortality of the soul.
3. the disembodied spirit of a deceased person: He feared the soul of the deceased would haunt him.
4. the emotional part of human nature; the seat of the feelings or sentiments.

What's my definition?  Simply being in the flow with your your soul self and allowing yourself to be guided by that voice instead of the voice of your ego.

I grew up in an Irish Catholic household.  My pre-programmed vision of the soul was like this ethereal like fog that lives outside of me.  It seemed like it should be a part of me - that my soul held wisdom – a wisdom I wanted to tap in to.  I began reading about shamanic work and knew it was the work I needed to be doing.  It made so much sense.

Painting by  Andrea Tiffany 
While reading about the many different cultures who identify with Shamanic practices, the words “soul retrieval” kept popping up.  What did that mean?  Did that confirm that my soul was something outside of me?  No, it simply meant that pieces of me needed to be brought home.

Several years ago, I decided it was time to integrate that part of me, the essence of who I am, into my life, then listen to her voice more than my ego’s.  Ah, yes, ego, “Everything’s Going On” - everything besides the truth of your souls’ calling, your soul self.  I began a path to soulful living.  Here’s what I found:  When you tune in and listen, life becomes easier and easier – effortless and joyful.  

How do you tune in?  By getting quiet, meditating, prayer - whatever you want to call it.  Tuning out what's happening around you and tuning into what's happening inside of you.

Oh, I’m not so naive to think that nothing’s going to rock my boat – I’m human.  When it feels good, when there’s no tension, when it sends “God bumps” up and down my spine – I know it’s part my soul’s path.  What is your soul calling out for you to do today?  Not sure – STOP and listen.  It's that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment